By Richard Akintade, Ogbomosho
Suspected hoodlums on Wednesday attacked the convoy of Osun State Governor, Ademola Adeleke, shortly after his visit to the palace of the Ataoja of Osogbo, Oba Jimoh Oyetunji, leading to an exchange of gunfire between the assailants and the governor’s security personnel.
The shooting reportedly lasted between 12 and 15 minutes and occurred shortly after Adeleke left the palace hall, where he had met with the traditional ruler.
Adeleke arrived at the Ataoja’s palace around 3:15 pm in a convoy of about 20 vehicles after leaving the Osun State headquarters of the Independent National Electoral Commission in Osogbo, where he received his Certificate of Return following his re-election.
An eyewitness, who spoke with our correspondent by telephone on condition of anonymity for security reasons, said Adeleke and his entourage were received by Oba Oyetunji, adding that the governor presented his Certificate of Return to the monarch.
According to the eyewitness, the incident began as the meeting was coming to an end after the monarch had offered prayers.
She said Adeleke had already left the hall through an exit usually reserved for the monarch and his wives when gunshots suddenly rang out.
“He was already in the bus that brought him and his close aides to the palace when we started hearing heavy gunshots. Those that attacked had come in an unregistered Sienna space bus through the Ita Olokan area of Osogbo.
“The shooting lasted for about 12 to 15 minutes before the governor’s convoy eventually left the palace. The governor’s security men and those hoodlums exchanged gunshots. The hoodlums later fled the scene,” she said.
A trader operating near the palace, identified simply as Munirat, said the attackers may have been aware of Adeleke’s scheduled visit and waited for his arrival.
“We suspected that those hoodlums heard about Adeleke’s visit and had been waiting for him. They came in a Sienna space bus. They even damaged the main gate to the palace. They shot at the palace main gate, but the security men pushed them back.
“We all ran away and left our wares. They also engaged the governor near the Osogbo Central Mosque before they fled towards Ita Olokan along the Osogbo-Ilesa Road,” she said.
The attack caused panic in the area, with traders and residents reportedly abandoning their businesses and running to safety as the gunfire continued.
When contacted, the Osun State Commissioner for Information and Public Enlightenment, Kolapo Alimi, confirmed the attack.
Alimi said the governor’s security personnel successfully repelled the attackers and added that no casualty was recorded.
